This is my simple photo journal. I like to take pictures and once a month or more, I load them onto this blog so that we can remember some of our family highlights.

5.13.2008

Our Curse


That full cup of mine turned upside down Sunday evening. We discovered water seeping from under our kitchen cabinets. Our RO system had come apart at the ice machine and had been slowly streaming water for at least 4-5 days. As we began to investigate, we found water damage in our pantry, bathroom, music room and all throughout the kitchen. The base board trim was bulging away from the walls. What is it with us and water?
Tom and I have a history with the ugly side of H20. We feel cursed. Before we moved into this house a little over a year ago, we had a home with a basement. We moved into our house in May and enjoyed that great basement for 2 months before it flooded for the first time. The sump pump caps were never removed and the window wells filled up with water and spilled into our basement walls. We got it fixed. The next summer, we had a big monsoon season and it flooded again. New carpet, baseboards, drywall, not once but twice!!! Rest assured we got the basement problem completely fixed before we sold it to a nice family.
I guess multiple hits and moving into a different house didn't lift our curse. It reared its ugly head again. I can hardly concentrate as I type because it sounds like a hurricane in my house right now with all the industrial fans and dehumidifiers churning away. We all have to yell to hear one another. We are hoping to salvage our wood floor, walls, and cabinetry. Good thing our wood floor is supposed to look distressed, we'll see how really distressed it looks after its declared dry by the restoration guys. Hey, I was just proud for not shedding one tear...this time. I think I cried out all my water woes after the basement waterfall incident.
On the brighter side, things can always be worse and its not a life changing event, just really windy and loud from the fans. If I have to rip out the wood floor in the music room, I'll replace it with carpet and piano practicing will be a lot more quiet around here. That's not so bad, right?