This is my simple photo journal. I like to take pictures and once a month or more, I load them onto this blog so that we can remember some of our family highlights.

3.17.2008

I Caved In

I finally caved in, or maybe its just spring fever. I took the kids to the pet store this morning. They beg, almost on a daily basis, for pets. Tom and I allow "contained pets." We have done biting hamsters, boring fish, frogs nobody would touch, and hermit crabs that just sat there. Last summer Cole bought Snicker the guinea pig and I have to say that Snicker has been delightful. Cole has taken full responsibility of cleaning the cage out, feeding, and caring for it. He pays for all the food and bedding. He'll tell me when he needs to buy new supplies, and I'll drive him to the pet store. He always remembers to bring his little "frequent shopper" card that will save him money.

For the past 2-3 years the kids have been begging for a dog or a bird. A dog is not happening, they can ride their bikes to Nana's and play with Gucci (she's lonely.) So today we piled in the car (with a few extra friends) and stormed the pet store. We priced out a large cage, seed, cuttle bone, and a few shiny bird toys. Cole, Summer, and Meg agreed to split the cost 3-ways. However, Meg pulled out her wallet with 2 tightly folded dollars and a few coins and tokens.....she came up $38 short. Her eyes filled with tears. As we stood in the bird seed aisle, Cole and Summer came up with a plan. They would cover her cost and she could pay them back with her next few months of allowance. She offered to do their chores too. They just told her to pay them back when she could. They worked it out better than I would of. Everyone was happy.
It seems to be really important to my kids that I love their birds too. "Mom, don't you want to hold my bird?" "Here, Mom lets take a picture with you and the bird." I do admit, I like them more than I thought I would. I'll tell you what I don't like, the mess they already are making of my laundry room.

Oh and you can bet everyone that came over or called the house today, got told ALL about our parakeets. They want to shout it from the roof tops. We set up the cage in the laundry room and that is where they and their friends have spent the day. When it gets a little too crowded, they go in and out in shifts. So, we'll see how long the thrill will last. I hope it carries us through spring break.