This is my simple photo journal. I like to take pictures and once a month or more, I load them onto this blog so that we can remember some of our family highlights.

6.26.2012

LOVE Lucca!

Our first stop in Italy was a port called Livorno.
Not a lot to see at that port.....


so the Oklands and I jumped on a bus and rode inland to the city of Lucca.  It is close to Pisa.
In fact we could see it from the highway.
Wishing our bus would have just driven us home via Pisa  so we could see the leaning tower.

I think Lucca was my favorite stop.  We toured it by bicycle.
It was a beautiful day and we rode along the city's famous wall that surrounds
the heart of the city.  We had this amazing tour guide named Vonda that pronounced every word very clearly and in this great cadence.  I can still hear her voice in my head.
 She had great stories and fun facts.  
I fell in love with Italy.






Look at the trees growing on top?  It is one of the mysteries of Lucca.







We saw a bazillion Catholic churches on our trip.  I can't keep track of them all.
This one was interesting because it had saints assigned for each month of the year.
The only one that was destroyed and beyond recognition was my birthday month, November.
So it stood out from the others.