This is my simple photo journal. I like to take pictures and once a month or more, I load them onto this blog so that we can remember some of our family highlights.

6.26.2012

Cruisin' the Mediterranean

Tom and I just got back from the Mediterranean coast.  
We went with our friends and travel partners, the Oklands.  We have dreamed of doing this trip since we were newlyweds.  With Kaci Okland and I turning 40 this year, our husbands made it happen.
We booked a cruise on the Seven Seas Mariner...figuring that we could see more of the Western portion of the Mediterranean that way.  Amazing ship and we loved it.  Big thumbs up.
(Barcelona-Marseille-St.Tropez-Lucca-Amalfi Coast-Capri-Rome)

Before you sense a brag blog beginning...let me inject some reality here.
About 2 days into our 10 day trip, Tom started feeling yucky.  At first we thought it was just a sinus infection and jet lag.  The Oklands gave Tom the z-pack they brought. 
 Dang it to all he just never got better.   He ended up with pneumonia. 
So crazy and terrible timing....blah

So,  I got to be a sister wife to the Oklands on most of our outings.
A couple of people even asked me if  I was the 
ship photographer because it was just me and my big camera.


We arrived in Barcelona where we would board our cruise ship the next day.
I loved this city.
Beautiful tree lined streets and all types of impressive architecture.





With only a day and 1/2 there-- we hired a tour guide, Gemma, to take us to the highlights.
Gemma knew her hometown well--she made me want to learn more about where I live.
We learned that Barcelona is Catalan.
The Catalans do not view themselves as Spaniards.  
Learned a lot of new things on this trip.


Gotta love Tom's swagger stance.


When you're a little jet-lagged you must concentrate harder



The big shining star of Barcelona is La Sagrada Familia


A monstrous gothic basilica that has been under construction since 1882
It looks like a sand castle that someone just poured water over...like it is melting.
I was blown away by this building.  I have never seen anything like it.
It is soooo weird-- it's cool.










Below is another funky building by the famous architect Gaudi.
I could stare and stare at his buildings.


and an apartment building


This city has the most diverse and beautiful buildings.
Everything from the classic....








...to very modern







We tried to stay awake and alert, but the jet lag took hold when we sat for any length of time.
Actually the Oklands handled the 9 hour time difference a lot better than Tom and I did.
It took me a good 3 days to get acclimated.










We did find our girls some fans...really it was for Meg. She collects them.
A couple years ago this was the main thing she wanted for Christmas.



After about 36 hours in Barcelona, we boarded our ship and set sail for Marseille, France


All the rooms have a balcony, which makes a huge difference on a cruise.  
At least Tom had some fresh air when he was sick.



(I tried to put the posts in order....so just keep scrolling down...if you care )