This is my simple photo journal. I like to take pictures and once a month or more, I load them onto this blog so that we can remember some of our family highlights.

11.03.2008

Tom or Huck


Last night I told Isaac that this would be the last time he wore "Indiana Jones." It was very much like taking a binky away, but from a 5 year old. He was sad and then understood as we looked at the dirty shreds of what was left of his pseudo leather jacket, pants, and floppy hat. So, we decided that he could wear it to our Sunday family gathering, for one last hurrah. He informed everyone that this would be his last day as Indiana Jones. We had several of his cousins join in the ceremonial ripping of the shirt/jacket ( just to be sure we were absolutely done being Indy Jones). All that was left were the dirty pants and floppy hat. Our 5 weeks of being Indiana Jones was finally coming to a close. All it took was for Aunt Janet (his biggest character enabler) to say that he now could be a Tom Sawyer or Huckleberry Finn. She took the scissors to the pants and another character was born.
I have decided that "Tom or Huck" (depending on the mood) can reside with us for a couple of days and then we need to have our wonderful Isaac back. I think if the weather would finally start cooling off, it would help him get out character a bit faster. He has never seen the movie or heard the story, so I had to dig into my very hazy memory and come up with the only story line I can remember. We reenacted the fence painting scene. I was Aunt Polly (I pretended she was Irish--they loved it), Ike was Tom and his cousin, Nate, was Huck Finn. Once I got the ball rolling, they played in character all afternoon.
Don't be alarmed by the knife he is brandishing...it is one of those retractable plastic ones......thanks to Nana for that one!