This is my simple photo journal. I like to take pictures and once a month or more, I load them onto this blog so that we can remember some of our family highlights.

12.08.2011

Christmas Recital


In the past, I have been pretty luke-warm on recitals.

I think I was having some left over feelings from my own recital days.
I will never ever forget one particular recital at the end of my junior year of high school.
I was supposed to play Beethoven's Pathetique Sonata.
That did not happen.  I played the first 3 measures and then blank, nothingness.
I sat paralyzed for a moment.  I am a little embarrassed to admit that I
 thought about faking a seizure or fainting spell.
At least that scene would have provided an interesting twist.
However, I just went with the ole hang your head in shame and take a seat.

That is my back story on recitals.

However, I have changed my tune.
I appreciate that it provides a goal to work toward.
I know I do better when there is a measurable goal to attain and so do my kids.
Plus, I get another chance to say "We do hard things."
Always followed by a little eye rolling.

This is the face, after a minuscule mistake was made.
She does not like making mistakes (this little apple does not fall far from the tree.)
 I admire a player that can make a mistake
and move right past it even more than one that plays with perfection.
Only when the player gets flustered and derailed by that mistake, does the audience get uncomfortable.
I applaude those that can smile and play on.
One of my favorite talks, by Brad Wilcox, uses a great piano practicing analogy.
I have shared this with my kids.  If you are interested click here

Summer is graceful under pressure.



Cole was not excited to participate in the recital.
It is no easy task keeping a high school boy taking piano lessons and attending the Christmas recital.
Sometimes I feel like we are both limping, no-- more like crawling, to cross this piano finish line.
Sometimes I even have to give him a piggy back, until he strengthens his resolve to
finish what we started almost 10 years ago.
It helps that he is a first-born pleaser.

The latest trick up my sleeve is to barter with him.
I offer to make him his favorite foods (smoothies, corn muffins, eggs and toast)
 if he plays 5 songs for it.
This strategy is currently working because he is always hungry.

Isaac was not in the recital, but didn't want to be left out.
That is my favorite Isaac face...sheepishly amused.