This is my simple photo journal. I like to take pictures and once a month or more, I load them onto this blog so that we can remember some of our family highlights.

3.20.2013

Honoring our Father and Papa


This is probably my sixth attempt to write about the passing of my father-in-law.
 I don't know how to convey the tender experience 
that these past few weeks have been for me.  I wish I was a gifted writer.

Our family was overwhelmed with all the kind phone calls, letters, notes on the door,
flowers, treats, texts and visits.   
It really made this such a sweet experience for our family to be thought of.

Sorrow was overpowered with Gratitude.

Ross went in a beautiful way.  
He was at home, surrounded by lots of love, family and singing.
 He loved hearing his children and grandchildren sing.
On one night when he was not doing well, the Ashby boys came and sang hymn after hymn
to him.  Ross awakened enough to mouth some of the words.

He went peacefully on March 2nd in the late afternoon.



The night after his death, the children and spouses met with Anita 
to make the necessary decisions and arrangements.  We got our assignments. 
I got the chance to gather photos and make a video of his life.
It was a special experience for me to be immersed in photos of his life and with the people he loved.




Funeral Program
(Thanks to Allison Jones for putting this together)




(This bottom portion was an insert)


The grandchildren and great-grandchildren each made a scrapbook page 
about Papa.  I loved this idea because it gave the kids a way to honor him.
  They were displayed at the viewing and funeral.





The Viewing 
was held the night before the funeral at Ross and Anita's stake center.
Prior to the public viewing, we had an hour together with just the family.  








It was so nice to see so many friends and extended family that night.
Tom and I came home full of gratitude for all the support.


The Funeral





Before the funeral, I snuck into the room where the men were practicing their song.  
Tom and my brother-in-law Fred Ashby sang with all the grandsons that are 18 and older.
I don't think I have ever heard anything more beautiful.  
"Go Ye Now in Peace" 
I still keep singing parts of this song in my head.  



I love that Parker wore one of Ross's ties.







As we left the church it began to rain.  
When we arrived at the graveside the rain stopped and 
the dark clouds opened up to let a little sunlight through. 
The contrast was fitting of this whole experience. 
I felt Ross there with us.



Anita asked that each person grab a rose off the casket to remember this day.








12 children with my beautiful mother-in-law.


Ross,
We will always love and remember what you taught us.
'Til we meet again.